Last Updated on August 17, 2022
This thread lists the pictures for picture description in German that people saw in real exams Deutschtest für Zuwanderer (Niveau B1) and that were collected by me on the forums. For the basic principles and useful phrases for picture description, see the first part.
All about DTZ (Deutschtest für Zuwanderer):
Read about German test b1 Deutschtest für Zuwanderer (DTZ).
German Writing for Exam B1: Letters 1, Letters 2, Letters 3, Letters 4, Letters 5, Letters 6
Dialogues for B1 test 1, Dialogues 2
Questions and anworts for the Leben in Deutschland test.
It is highly likely that you will come across one picture from the list, but pictures are easier to change than, for example, letters that repeat in a circle. Therefore, you need to prepare not so much for these specific pictures, but for topics. And the topics are standardized.
Preparation means not only learning typical phrases and practicing describing people in photographs, but also preparing your thoughts about the plot, and this is what leads to a dead end: sometimes it’s hard to figure out what you can even talk about.
Important: you are not in court under oath and not in confession. You do not need to tell the truth and only the truth. You just need to speak. Anything.
German picture description topics
Family, everyday life
having or not having children: what do you think about modern families, have you children, living as a single
gifts: what do you think about christmas gifts, what gifts do you give/receive, do you like it, tradition changes – early gifts were cheaper
holidays: christmas traditions for you, in your country, other typical holidays (birthday party, first time in the school, Helloween)
weddings, wedding anniversaries: what traditions are there in your country, if you are married – what about your wedding
online dating: what do think about it, do you have an experience?
leisure time for families – plays, walking in forest, picnics: what plays do you like, how do you spend your free time
hobbies – dancing, drawing, sport
eat at home with family or go to a restaurant (what would you like and what is in your family)
vacation with a family
where to live – in an apartment building or own house, moving
small repair at home (water pipe, stove, washing machine) – do it yourself or call a handyman
die Kerzen ausblasen (blies, geblasen)
spielen mit dem Ball / Brettspiele
gratulieren jmdm (Dat) zu (Dat.)
wünschen Dat. (dir, sich)
- A mother with children on a picnic, sitting on a bedspread, there is a basket of fruit, a thermos.
Auf dem Bild sehe ich mehrere Personen bei einem Picknick. Es geht wahrscheinlich um eine Familie. Sie sitzen auf einer Decke im Gras. Ich sehe eine Frau. Ich glaube, das ist die Mutter. Sie trägt… Die Mutter hält das Baby in ihren Armen. Rechts von ihr ein Junge und ein Mädchen, ungefähr 3 und 10 Jahre alt. Sie tragen… Im Vordergrund sehen wir eine Thermoskanne, Sandwiches und einen Obstkorb… Im Hintergrund ist der See zu sehen.
Ich denke, dass die Familie einen Tagesausflug zum See macht. Ich und meine Familie machen oft Ausflüge. Aber wir wandern lieber, besonders in den Bergen. Ich finde es sehr wichtig, dass Kinder sich mehr bewegen und oft draußen sind. Das macht sie gesünder, verbessert die Beziehungen in der Familie.
2. Father and son are grilling, in the background the mother is sitting at the table and reading a book. (leisure time for your family)
3. Geburtstag. Four people, two women and two men, one man blows out the candles. You must describe the situation, what kind of holiday, why he blows out the candles. (how is it in your family?)
4. A young man and a girl are standing side by side, the man is holding a small box in his hands, he probably wants to propose to her (weddings in your country or your family)
5. Mom, dad, child have breakfast in the living room.
6. A woman and a child are cooking in the kitchen. A woman rubs a carrot on a grater.
7. Two children are playing ball. (leisure time by children – your children or in your childhood vs modern children)
8. Children’s room and school-age children sit in front of the computer (computer in the life of children, good for learning, bad for health)
9. Photograph of the newlyweds. The bride in a white dress, holding a bouquet of flowers in her hands, smiles. The fiance in an elegant suit, smiles, holds his wife by the hand. In the background are a meadow and trees. How do you celebrate such an event in your country, what brides and grooms wear for a wedding. Are there any differences between a wedding in Germany and in your country. Are there any wedding traditions?
10. The photo shows a married couple, both aged 50. They are smiling, a woman has a bouquet of flowers in her hands, a man has a small rose in his jacket pocket. How wedding anniversaries are celebrated in your country, are there any differences between Germany and your country in this tradition, were you already on such a event.
11. A couple in the kitchen making a pie. How better to live – alone or with someone.
12. 3 children and a man are sitting in a room, one of the children is sitting on the man’s lap. They watch TV. (leisure time in the family)
13. The family is sitting in the kitchen at a large table, and they are playing a board game. (leisure time in the family – your family or in your childhood or in your country)
14. Summer, park and there a family of 4 and an old man were all standing near the bikes.
15. A girl of about twelve years old,, in a shaggy sweater, holds a white horse by the bridle (slightly clinging to it). In the background is the entrance to the barn.
16. Family – parents, two children and a dog are sitting on the grass.
17. Mom, dad, son cook spaghetti together. Add. Q: Do you cook at home or go to a restaurant? What do you like more?
18. Couple – a man and a woman in a restaurant at a table on the terrace. The theme is going to a restaurant or eating at home.
19. A family of two adults and two joyful children run along the beach. The theme is vacation.
20. Snow, family in the mountains, dad with a camera. The theme is holidays.
21. Mom with the kids in her arms sits near the computer with a weekly and tries to call somewhere. Someone said – the airport, someone – the hotel. It looks like a hotel lobby. There is a suitcase on the floor. There was a laptop on the table.
22. Construction, a man holding a child on his shoulders, a child in a helmet.
23. In the background are multi-storey buildings, in the foreground there is a large playground (sand) on which there is one swing and a children’s house. There are no people.
24. People wear boxes or wallpaper or carpet – moving
25. Dancing couple dancing ballroom dance or tango
26. A plumber in a special suit is repairing a sink. Do this repair yourself or call a specialist?
Children, students, education
if you don’t have children, talk about your childhood or your nephews or friends’ children
leisure time, games with children – sport, picnics, board games, watching TV
kindergarten – your experience in Germany (or experience of your friends – only half a day, work is hardly possible, difficult to find a place, little early education, just spending time up up to 5 years old etc.)
reading books with children
learning music, embroider, dancing, sport courses – hobbies
road hazards (children on the street with ball, scooters etc)
children and computer/phone
school in Germany
high school, university in Germany
student’s life (phone, computer, disco, parties)
ein Buch lesen
an Wettkаmpf teilnehmen
die Krippe (bis 3 Jahre alt)
der / die Jugendliche
die Bibliothek / Mediathek
die Bibliothek (Mediathek)
1. 2 girls sit at their desks and smile. (what about your children in the school or your childhood or experience of your friends)
2. Two girls in the library. (in the modern library you can take also music CD, films, board games, learn language with other people etc.)
3. The guy lies on the couch and listens to the player.
4. A young man and a girl are standing near the table, pizza ingredients are on the table.
6. A boy and a girl look out from behind the car to cross the road, on scooters, without helmets.
7. A girl sits on a bench and does her homework.
8. Father and son are sitting and doing his homework.
9. Disco. Young people are dancing. There are mirror balls on the ceiling.
10. People sit at their desks. Maybe they are students.
11. Two students are standing between two shelves with books. Perhaps a library.
12. In the picture, a young man, dressed in white jeans, a white pullover and white socks with a remote control, was sitting in a chair in front of the TV. He smiled. Behind him were shelves.
13. A company of young people is sitting on the steps. Student age. Behind you can see a large building, possibly a university. The girl has an open book on her lap.
14. Three schoolgirls or students in the kitchen near the dishwasher (student shared flat)
15. Two guys are sitting at the table having breakfast.
16. A boy and a girl are sitting near a computer in an audience (classroom).
17. The teacher holds a book in his hands, 4 students stand around him. In the background is a blackboard with mathematical equations.
18. A girl reads at home in an armchair with a glass of wine.
19. Three children playing football on the road (leisure time and dangers for children on the street
20. children are making something at the table (Crafts with children)
21. Two little girls play ball and they run
22. Children in the kindergarten
at the doctor – do you like medicine in Germany
medicines – your experience, how is it in your country (recipes, paid or free)
in the hospital / maternity hospital
smoking (your attitude, harm from smoking, can people smoke in the presence of non-smokers)
vegans (what do you think about it, have you any restrictions on food, what is healthy)
healthy lifestyle (weight loss, fewer calories, less meat, less sugar, more movement and sports – are you ready to follow all the tips)
joggen / laufen
krank (gesund) sein
Fieber (Grippe, Erkältung) haben
das Arzneimittel / das Medikament
die Praxis, -en
das Rezept verschreiben
1. A young man washes dishes in the kitchen and smokes at the same time. Or Two men in a cafe drink coffee and also smoke. Questions about smoking – do you smoke, do you approve
Auf dem Bild sehe ich eine Person in der Küche. Das ist ein junger Mann. Er wäscht Geschirr. Gleichzeitig raucht er. Er trägt Hauskleidung – Jogginghose und T-Shirt. Der Mann hat dunkle Haare. Wir sehen sein Gesicht nicht.
Auf dem Tisch sind die Überreste der Feier zu sehen – Essen und schmutziges Geschirr, Flaschen. Offenbar räumt der Mann hinter den Gästen auf. Anscheinend kümmert er sich nicht um seine Gesundheit – er trinkt und raucht viel.
Ich finde das Rauchen in Innenräumen ekelhaft. Rauchen ist generell sehr schädlich, es verdirbt die Lunge, man kann Krebs und viele andere Krankheiten bekommen. Auf der anderen Seite, wenn eine Person so krank werden möchte, hat sie das Recht dazu. Aber wenn Leute neben anderen rauchen, besonders neben Kindern, finde ich es egoistisch. Niemand in meiner Familie raucht und ich bin glücklich damit.
2. A sick child of 10 years or older measures the temperature with a thermometer. He is in bed, his mother sits next to him and anxiously feels his forehead, there are a lot of medicines on the bedside table. (what to do with sick children, what experience do you have)
3. Hospital ward, several satisfied patients, a doctor and all kinds of medical equipment.
4. A girl in a white terry dressing gown and loose dark hair. In one hand she holds a thermometer, with the other hand she props up her apparently sore head and looks at the thermometer readings. Topic: illness, medications, your experience.
5. Pharmacy, shelves with medicines, a woman buys something from a pharmacist.
6. A young man rides a bicycle through the park.
7. The girl in the fitness center
8. Praxis. A woman in a white clothes is sitting behind the Rezeption. She hands the prescription to the man. He stands with the girl. The man is bald and in a suit with a tie.
9. Patient and family doctor.
10. Family in maternity hospital
11. Healthy food and vegetarians – a basket of fruits and vegetables or a girl with yogurt
12. A boy with apples, a girl with ice cream – sweet or healthy for children
office, work at office – do you like such job
work at home – do you like home office
job search – your experience or your plans, did you visit Arbeitsamt
male and female professions
1. Two men at the enterprise are doing some details.
2. Newspapers with job advertisements.
3. A picture depicting a man who opens the door and there is a sign “Arbeitsamt” above the building.
4. View of the computer monitor from behind. There are two young women in front of the monitor. Only faces are visible.
5. A young woman in an office suit is sitting at a table. In front of her is an open laptop, a phone in her hand, the other hand on a mouse. She is talking to someone on the phone, smiling, looking at the computer.
6. A young woman sits at an office table facing us and holds out a pack of letters to a man sitting opposite – we see him half a turn from the back.
7. A man in a flower shop collects a bouquet.
8. Post. A young woman holding a box and three letters
9. Two men in work clothes are examining a pipe.
10. A man with garden shears in his hand.
11. Barbershop: a man cuts a woman’s hair, another man watches from the side.
13. Two people glue wallpaper
Old people and care for them, problems of generations
How should old people live – with children or in Altersheim or alone in their own house
Would you like to work in a nursing home. Nursing homes – good or bad. How is it in your country.
Caring for sick elderly
relationships between generations
leisure time of old people
das Altersheim, Pflegeheim, Seniorenheim
Enkelkinder, Enkelin, Enkel
1. An elderly couple is dancing, in the background there are wooden shelves with books.
2. An elderly couple is having breakfast and reading a newspaper together.
3. One old woman sat with her granddaughter in the garden and looked at the laptop, the old woman was joyful, and the young girl hugged her shoulders.
4. Nursing home, an old woman is sitting, a nurse is standing nearby and serving food to the woman.
5. Grandparents are sitting in the room, there is a table with food in front of them, they look happy.
6. An elderly man and woman, dressed in a festive way and the woman has flowers in her hands.
Do you have any more questions? Use comments ⇓ or private communication form ⇨
Public transport and cars
Public transport – delays, ecology, safety
Modern transport in the city – bycicle, scooter, sharing
Cars – ecology, accidents, traffic jam
What transport do you prefer.
Children and transport
stehen im Stau
1. Two women on the road, cars collided, one of them is on the phone.
2. A woman is driving a car, a boy runs out onto the road.
3. German subway. The train is staying. People are moving on the platform. The picture is blurry.
4. A young man is standing on the steps of a train car. There are two girls nearby. They probably see off him.
5. A man in a suit on a bicycle, in the city, behind him is a bus, the traffic is busy. Lots of parked bikes.
6. Tram. Almost full. Mostly young men and women inside. Dressed for summer.
7. 2 children, approximately 6-7 years old, are trying to cross the road. They have scooters. Stand in front of a zebra and look around.
8. Platform, train. A young man is standing in the carriage, two girls are standing next to him on the platform and they are asking him about something. He explains to them.
9. Autobahn, winter, traffic jam, a lot of cars.
10. Station, train on the platform and 2 men run late for the train.
11. Three children ran out onto the road to get a soccer ball. Cars are visible in the background.
12. Two women are walking towards each other along the pedestrian crossing. The one on the left is leading a girl by the hand, a little ahead is a boy riding a bicycle and wearing a helmet. The one on the right is holding a small child in her arms and pushing a (as it seemed to me empty) stroller in front of her.
Do you have pets, what do you think about it
die Verantwortung (tragen, auf sich nehmen)
1. Two children walk the dog in the park
2. A woman with 2 children also walked with a dog in a forest
what you love, how at home,
purchases online or in real life,
1. Pictured is a vegetable and spice shop. Each product on the counter has a price tag. Describe what you see, how often you buy spices, what spices are for. What are your national dishes and what spices do you add to them.
2. Drogerie store. A man buys toilet paper, a woman stands nearby with a basket, around the counter with goods. Describe what you see, how often you buy, how in your country – are there such stores and what they sell.
3. Market. Lots of people looking at different products. Vegetables, fruits, meat, milk. Do you buy products on the market, if so, which ones, how often. Are there such markets in your country, what is sold on them.
4. A picture with a computer standing on the table, inside of which a large basket of purchases was, as it were, virtually depicted. The topic of online shopping. Have you an experience of shopping via the Internet, the pros and cons, etc.
6. The seller at the checkout in the store, a man and a woman with a bundle of money buy perfume. The theme of shopping in real life.
7. 2 hands, one hand holds a wallet, the other puts 1 euro in it. Or purse with banknotes sticking out. Topic Internet-shop vs real shops
8. A smartly dressed woman stands and withdraws money from an cash machine
9. Supermarket, queue, cashier gives the customer paper towels.
10. Bazaar, a lot of vegetables, spices, something else in jars, a man buys something, like giving money to a saleswoman, another saleswoman stands in the background.
11. A man and a woman are standing at the counter. The partner had a purse with banknotes sticking out. Cash or cards, how developed non-cash payment is in our homeland.